It is vital for you to be aware of the procedure to apply for a birth certificate if you are expecting a baby. However, there are certain things that you should know before applying for a birth certificate. A birth certificate is of utmost importance to your child. A birth certificate establishes the date and fact of your child. It serves a plethora of purposes in the form of acquiring the right to vote and getting admissions in schools.
The legal framework associated while obtaining a birth certificate
It is compulsory to register every birth under the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969. You have to register the birth within 21 days of its occurrence. The registration process is usually accomplished by duly filling up the form in the office of the Registrar. After the successful registration, you can obtain the Birth Certificate only after successful verification of the documents submitted by you.
On the other hand, if the birth is not registered within the specified time of its occurrence, then you can obtain the Birth Certificate only after successful police verification. The revenue authorities usually order this process. Know more about the process of registering birth by visiting your local municipal office or getting consultation from a lawyer.
Processes involved before applying for a birth certificate
Here is the list of steps before applying for a birth certificate
- Obtain a birth certificate registration form from the office of the Registrar or your local municipality
- When the child is born, this form is usually provided by the medical officer
- Fill up the form carefully to avoid mistakes and submit it within 21 days of the occurrence of birth
- If you fail to register the birth within the time period of 21 days, then it would be issued after a successful police verification
- The registrar verifies the birth record details like place of birth, time, ID proof of the parents and residence of birth
- You can collect the birth certificate after seven days of applying from the municipal authorities
- You also have to provide a self-addressed envelope at the municipality office. Within 7 to 14 working days, the authorities would post the certificate to the respective address.
The documents required to apply for a birth certificate
- Birth certificates of both the parents
- Marriage certificate of both the parents
- Valid identity proof of the parents
- The letter of birth issued by the Medical Officer-In charge
The current fee for Registration of Birth Certificate in India
The registration fee for the certificate is 20 INR. A late fee will be supplemented if you are applying for the process of registration after three weeks of the child’s birth. You can know more about the fees required by your local municipal office.
What is the overwhelming importance of a birth certificate?
A birth certificate is an important document that validates the nationality of an individual. If an individual does not possess a birth certificate, then they cannot enjoy the benefits implemented by the government. A birth certificate is needed for:
- Seeking admission in educational institutes
- Application for passport
- Addressing immigration needs
- Serves as a valid proof for age
The steps mentioned above would help you to take into account the formalities required before applying for a birth certificate. Always ensure that the documents you are submitting are correct. Moreover, the information provided by you in the registration form should be free of mistakes.